Animated Narratives Week 10 - Helping Hand
A downloadable game for Windows and macOS
I worked with a group of people where we decided on a story for this week's premise. The story is written below which we used from the premise that was provided. I took the idea and implemented a rough animation in Unity.
Concept drawings were provided by Ashley, Izac, me and Willow.
Environment Assets were taken from my past project called The Guardian: https://grenadeable.itch.io/the-guardian
For this week’s work, I created a visual novel in Unity. The theme for this week is Movement. The following details are shown below:
- He is stuck in one spot while his shadow is free to move around as it pleases (Premise provided by Devika)
- We think this premise shows great potential in both linear and interactive settings. And we love the idea of a shadow moving at its own will, it gives another level of the playground to the movement - why and how it moves.
- The shadow of a boy builds something mysteriously at night.
- At night, the shadow of a sleeping boy starts moving freely at its own will.
- The shadow extends and opens the door leading to a suspicious basement
- There are a plethora of horrendous and scary tools in the basement, the shadow picks up a saw
- Close-up action of the shadow building something, wielding, sewing metal parts, it looks like the shadow is scheming something bad
- Morning breaks in, the boy wakes up and sits at the edge of the bed, his back looks upset and lonely.
- The camera orbits to the front, revealing of the boy has both of his legs surgically removed.
- The boy stares at the shadow of the cut end of the legs for a long time
- Shadow kicks out the prosthetic legs beneath the bed
- The boy happily installs the legs and tries to walk again
- The shadow is also happy to be in touch with the boy again (feet to feet)
- French, J., 2015. Ultimate Game Music Collection. [online] Unity. Available at: https://bit.ly/3xnodqN [Accessed 7 June 2022].
- Freesound. 2013. Individual child gasps.wav by SpliceSound. [online] Available at: https://freesound.org/s/188209/ [Accessed 7 June 2022].
- Freesound. 2020. Table saw #1 by leo153. [online] Available at: https://freesound.org/s/535626/ [Accessed 7 June 2022].
- Unity. 2014. Universal Sound FX. [online] Available at: https://bit.ly/3mr0SOE [Accessed 7 June 2022]